No Dogs, No Smoking, No Grenades

20110706-025713.jpg

There are a lot of “don’ts” in this world. The American equivalent of “No shirts, no shoes, no service” seems to vary from country to country.

In Southeast Asia, the regulation of durian, a very smelly but popular fruit to locals, is about on par with smoking in the states. Instead, of the ubiquitous “no smoking” signs, we see “no durian” signs with the fruit crossed out the same way.

But today we saw our first “No grenades” sign. It was number one on the list of things not to do at the mall we were entering. It’s important to consider that this kind of self-regulation is aimed at law abiding citizens, since I think these types of signs aren’t likely to deter a hardened criminal.

We couldn’t help but wonder if checking your grenades at the door was an option.

It’s worth noting that knives and guns are completely fine.

Wednesday, July 06, 2011 5:48 am EDT

Phnom Penh, Cambodia

Comments
6 Responses to “No Dogs, No Smoking, No Grenades”
  1. Ben Fuller says:

Check the trashcan right by that door. I will bet that it’s full of Grenades, as well as weighing scales you wear on your shoulders (4th picture over).

2. Susan says:

So, just wondering…what DID you do with your grenades, and camera?

• Sasha Bruce says:

Checked the grenades in the basket at the door like everyone else of course. Hid camera and took this stealthy pic with the phone camera. Voila!

3. dan k says:

What does the scale picture mean? No dealing drugs? No bartering? No equality?

• Joshua Peck says:

That one left me wondering too. In the end, we’re pretty sure it means no soliciting. I have a no durian sign somewhere, let me know if you’re still looking.

4. dan k says:

P.S. I came across this image on google images cuz i was looking for “No Durian” signs. I clicked on it, cuz I thought the grenade was a durian…maybe they outsourced the sign making to midwest USA and the artist thought the durian was a grenade…lol